Image: Zach Alston / Stylist: Raven Roberts

Karamo Brown has deleted his Twitter account following backlash from fans.

The self-help guru and Fab Five member defended Donald Trump’s former press secretary Sean Spicer when it was announced that they would be competing against each other on the new season of hit reality show Dancing With The Stars later this year.

Speaking to Access Online earlier this week, Karamo called Sean a “really sweet guy” and suggested he would be able to help him grow as a person.

“Sean Spicer and I have been talking, I was most excited to meet him. People would look at us and think we’re polar opposites, but I’m a big believer that if you can talk to someone and meet in the middle you can learn and help each other grow,” he said.

“So we have been chatting all day today, he’s a good guy, a really sweet guy. [This is] Karamo from Queer Eye saying Sean Spicer is a nice guy. I know, right?”

His comments faced backlash from many in the LGBTQ community, who criticised Karamo for taking part in attempts to rehabilitate Sean’s image in the public eye.

American author Roxane Gay tweeted, “Get a fucking grip. There is no friendship with people who enable fascism,” and writer David Duran said, “You don’t need that show and you’d be doing a way bigger thing for our community by quitting.”

In response to the backlash, Karamo reportedly blocked several of his critics and wrote in a now-deleted tweet: “I honestly can’t stand people like you who post things like this just to flame the fire and get a reaction.

“We fight harder than your ass ever has for people of colour and members of the LGBTQIA community.”

Karamo has now deleted his Twitter account.