The old adage that there’s nothing new under the sun is about to be shattered as Apollo Resorts comes on to the Greek scene with a tremendous series of August packages especially designed to appeal to gay men and centred on the Villa Bonaventure, which is to be found just 20 miles south of Athens.
Set in the countryside outside the local town of Anavyssos, the Villa Bonaventure, with a historic name meaning good fortune, is located on a stunning and secluded site that is completely private with security gates and walls surrounding the entire compound. Average summer temperatures are in excess of 80F and with rain in August almost unheard of, the Villa is also just one mile from an excellent local beach.
To reach this tranquil haven in the countryside there is a transfer time of a little over 30 minutes from Athens Airport with the Villa Bonaventure boasting a large number of suites all with comfortable beds, seating area, refrigerator and a bathroom with either bath or shower.
Some suites have just a double bed, others have a double and a single bed or there are larger options that can accommodate up to eight people which make them the ideal for groups of friends. The Villa is set over four floors although, unfortunately, there is no ease of access rooms for those with impaired mobility, all floors being reached by staircases.
The Bonaventure’s Restaurant seats 80 people indoors with a balcony viewing one of the outdoor entertainment areas accommodating a further 30 diners while an attractive ground floor lounge has a bar opening on to the same outdoor terrace and entertainment area that the restaurant balcony overlooks.
There’s a large swimming pool which is surrounded by sheltered places to allow guests to keep out of the direct sunlight while still enjoying the hot weather. The pool has its own bar and also an outdoor barbecue area which will be used for provision of lunchtime snacks and a weekly poolside BBQ when the most is made of opportunities to spit roast whole pigs.
Surrounding the pool are a mix of large marquee style awnings and smaller, more private gazebos – and for the convenience of guests changing facilities with showers are located close to the pool.
There is also a small Chapel within the Villa Bonaventure’s grounds where arrangements can be made for gay weddings to take place. Ceremonies can also be organised and conducted on a nearby uninhabited island with a receptions back at the villa, which is able to accommodate up to 300 guests for such an event. Larger guest numbers can also be handled by using a local hotel which is no more than five minutes away.
All Inclusive Packages
Apollo Resorts currently offer two different options, an Activity Package and a Fun in the Sun Package. With both, guests will receive all of the following:
• Airport transfers.
• Accommodation as booked, with breakfast, snack lunch, and dinner on a daily basis.
• On three evenings each week guests can dine at local restaurants, eating from a large set menu, which includes drinks. One will be at a grill restaurant serving a superb selection of meats, another at a pizza and pasta restaurant offering a wide selection of Italian themed dishes, and also a beachside seafood restaurant serving a selection of locally caught fish and shellfish.
• Beers, wines and spirits are served by the glass together with other beverages and soft drinks with waiter service, which is also offered around the pool where different daily activities are arranged.
• Guests also have the use of an onsite gymnasium and a popular feature is evening entertainment with bands, singers and Greek dancers. The weekly programme also includes a Beach Party on an uninhabited island with pizza lunch.
The Fun in the Sun Package also includes a full day trip to awesome Athens, including memorable visits to The Acropolis and Museum with lunch included.
Then, another day, brings a visit to The Temple of Poseidon travelling by boat before a road trip later in the day to witness a superb sunset. There is also a range of other tour activities which are available to be purchased locally.
With the Activity Package the guests will also receive:
• Half day mountain biking.
• Half day go-karting.
• Half day introduction to scuba diving (with extra sessions for qualified divers).
• Half day snorkelling from a boat moored close to the Temple of Poseidon.
• Full day speed boat trip with lunch included.
• Full day horse trekking with lunch included.
• Half day swimming with horses.
• Half day beach party on uninhabited island and options of hiking in the hills or snorkelling.
Apollo Resorts is a gay travel organisation owned and operated by gay people who have taken a lease on the Villa Bonaventure for four weeks in August this summer during which time it will be operated as an exclusive gay resort. It is totally private and guests will be able to relax around the pool, among the palm trees being just who they are in total seclusion. Further information and booking links can be found here.
Unique packages on offer from Apollo
Operations Manager Simon Bennett has no doubts about the quality of the unique Apollo packages, commenting: “What we want to do is offer gay guys an all inclusive package but not including flights as we see our clientele coming from all areas of the world and most people can access cheap flight options online themselves.
“As a gay-owned company we know how to plan a holiday for gay guys and not only is the Villa stunning to look at, so are our staff. We believe in offering a first class service, great food, drinks, accommodation, entertainment and sightseeing all for one price – and the premises also have a 24-hour concierge on duty.
“You can be as active or as relaxed as you want. Our activity weeks are really full-on and there’s something for everyone, all day every day. If you would prefer a more relaxed holiday, then consider our Fun in the Sun package.”
Simon added: “Apollo Resorts is a modern company owned and operated by mature people who still remember those days when customer service was paramount. That’s why we have direct e-mail addresses and phone numbers to contact us on – we’re not one of those websites where you cannot actually deal with a real person. We welcome prospective clients to contact us directly.”