GAY TIMES Group is looking for an ambitious individual to join our editorial team.
Who we are
Our mission is to advance a world where LGBTQ+ people thrive. GAY TIMES has been a vital resource to LGBTQ+ people around the world for the past five decades, and we we are the most followed LGBTQ+ content brand in the world. GAY TIMES Group is made up of:
- GAY TIMES – our namesake content brand, with news coverage, magazine features, cover stories, podcasts, video interviews, and social editorial. We’re world’s No.1 for LGBTQ+ audiences on Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook.
- GTX – our creative agency, which specialises in industry-leading strategy, brand content and production that directly connects brands with LGBTQ+ and global audiences.
- Amplifund – our international philanthropic charity partnership.
The team and the role
We’re a small team with a big mission, and we operate in a startup-like environment. We work on content across formats including website, magazine, social, podcasts and partnership, reaching millions of people each month.
You’ll be joining our editorial team, and be responsible for producing news reports, original features and profile pieces that can live across all of our content channels. You’ll build relationships with industry contacts to source exclusive stories, help drive audience growth across GT’s digital channels, and contribute original ideas to weekly editorial workshops.
This is a junior level role and you’ll report directly to our Associate Editor (Sam). Your main focus will be to produce engaging and relevant content that prioritises a LGBTQ+ audience and furthers GT’s mission to be the best source of news, entertainment and education for LGBTQ+ people.
- Contribute to GT’s daily news feed with quick and accurate reporting
- Pitch and produce original feature ideas for GT’s digital channels
- Pitch and produce original feature ideas and interview pieces for GAY TIMES Magazine
- Develop relationships with key contacts to secure talent access and exclusive stories
- Present breaking news content on TikTok for a young, diverse audience
- Help grow GT’s digital audience through creative thinking and strategic decisions
- Occasionally help develop and produce engaging partnership content
Who we’re looking for:
Most of all, we need someone who will throw their all into our mission, and help us achieve our goals. We don’t need you to have any particular school or university qualifications. You might have experience in editorial, or you might be someone who has a natural flair for writing and storytelling and you’re looking to get into your first editorial role. Either way, we encourage you to apply if you’re someone who can demonstrate you have:
- Confidence. You’re not afraid to chase a story, interview A-list talent and contribute creative ideas.
- Good writing skills – good grammar, clear and concise
- Understanding of best practice when it comes to SEO
- Strong passion for LGBTQ+ issues in the UK and across the world
- Excellent problem-solving skills, with a creative approach to challenge resolution
- Solid understanding of social media
- Ability to build relationships with PRs and community organisations to secure editorial opportunities
- Content-first mindset. You are driven by impact and want to be measured by results
- Excellent communication and presentation skills. You like getting to the bottom of what our audience wants and needs and you can speak to them in a way that engages them
- High level of resilience. You can thrive in a fast-paced work environment that requires a varied skill set
- Great sense of self-motivation, ambition and determination. You will be operating in a small team, so need to be able to work independently with limited resources, be a team player, and prioritise tasks
- Ability to pick up new technology and systems
Nice to haves:
- Some previous experience in news reporting / original writing
- A good understanding of how a media content business operates
- A good understanding of analytical tools
- Ambition to present on camera and/or a podcast
- Understanding of CMS, MS Office, Keynote, and G Suite tools
- Starting salary of £22,000 per annum
- Alignment to LGBTQ+ issues, causes and activism
- Access to GAY TIMES events and parties
- Career progression opportunities
- 23 days holiday per annum plus 8 bank holidays
- Monthly team events
- Submit your CV and a cover letter, as a single PDF document to email@example.com – please include the reference ‘Junior Writer application’ in the email subject line. (If you haven’t heard from us within 4 weeks, then unfortunately your application won’t have been successful. We’ll keep your CV and cover letter on file for future reference.)
- If you are successful in the first round of the process, we’ll arrange a phone interview with Sam Damshenas (our Associate Editor).
- You will then be asked to complete an editorial-focused task.
- If you proceed, you will then have a final interview with Sam and Lewis Corner (our Editorial Director).