The out figure skater failed to reach the podium in his final event…

Sadly, Adam Rippon’s Winter Olympics dreams haven’t ended in the way that he wanted as in his final event he finished 10th.

Following the event, when asked if he would retire from the sport, Rippon said: “I think at first I need a five-minute break and a really stiff drink and then maybe, like a day or two off the ice, at least to dry out my costumes, and then we’ll see.”

But even though Rippon may be slightly disappointed, it was clear from Twitter that many people were full of pride for the athlete.

The 28-year-old figure skater became the first openly gay athlete from Team USA to qualify for the games in Pyeongchang, South Korea, earning a bronze medal in the men’s individual with a stunning performance to Coldplay’s O.

His relationship with fellow out athlete Gus Kensworthy also made headlines this week when they shared a kiss in defiance of Mike Pence – and the internet went wild.

And during an interview with NBC, following a men’s short performance, Rippon was asked why he was skating so well. His response may go on to be iconic, as he quipped: “I can’t explain witchcraft.”

The 2018 Winter Olympics is currently taking place in Pyeongchang, South Korea between 9-25 February.