© YouTube

Danica Roem made history last year when she became the first ever trans woman voted into the Virginia House of Delegates.

The Democrat won a seat in the Virginia House of Delegates, taking the position away from incumbent Republican Bob Marshall who has a track record of anti-LGBTQ views.

Yesterday, she was sworn into the Virginia House of Delegates, officially becoming the first openly trans state representative in the United States.

Roem wrote on Facebook: “My gratitude extends beyond words to the people of the 13th District and every person who helped make this special day happen. We did it.

“And I’m so thankful for everything you’ve done and continue to do to inspire me to be the best legislator I can be for the people of Manassas Park, Prince William County and the Commonwealth of Virginia and for every transgender kid who knows they can succeed because of who they are, not despite.

“Thank you. It’s time to work. Let’s get our bills passed!”

After Roem was sworn in, James Parish – Equality Virginia Executive Director – told the Washington Blade: “Increasingly across Virginia and the rest of the country LGBT people are getting an overdue seat at the table.

“Virginia made history today with the swearing in of Delegates Dawn Adams and Danica Roem and a message has been sent that the voices of LGBT Virginians will be heard.

“I know that the people in their districts and throughout the Commonwealth will be well-served by Adams and Roem, who join Delegates Mark Levine and Marc Sickles and Senator Adam Ebbin as LGBT members of the General Assembly.”

Roem’s victory last year was lauded as a historic moment.

Aisha C. Moodie-Mills – President and CEO of Victory Fund, said: “Tonight voters chose a smart, solutions-oriented trans leader over a divisive anti-LGBTQ demagogue – sending a powerful message to anti-trans legislators all across the nation.

“Danica defeated ‘Bigot Bob’ Marshall not because she is transgender, but because she presented a positive vision for her constituents that will improve their lives.

“We are determined to replicate this race nationwide – using constituent-focused LGBTQ candidates to takedown elected officials who use their positions to target our community. Tonight was the opening salvo.”

Demi Lovato took Danica as her guest to the American Music Awards in Los Angeles last year, praising the legislator as “groundbreaking”.

Related: Republicans change 400-year-old rule to avoid calling trans politician Danica Roem a woman.

Get your hands on our latest issue now at buy.gaytimes.co.uk