Instagram

Olympic medalist Gus Kenworthy has said that he will refuse an invitation to the White House while Donald Trump is president, if he is invited.

The freestyle skier will head to South Korea next year for the 2018 Winter Olympics, but has no intention of meeting the 45th President of the United States afterwards.

Traditionally, Team USA are invited to the White House after the competition to be congratulated for their achievements.

“I have no interest in faking support,” Gus told TIME when asked if he’d attend. “I don’t want to go shake his hand.”

The openly gay snow sports star feels an obligation to push back against the current administration, especially when Trump is attempting to bar transgender people from serving in the military.

Related: Swoon! Gus Kenworthy has been stripping off for charity…

“That is just a direct attack on the LGBT community,” he said. “It shows more courage to leave the house as a trans person than Trump has ever had to show.”

This Winter Olympics is the first Gus will be competing as an openly gay athlete after he came out in an interview with ESPN in October 2015.

“I don’t think I could have ever come out as a gay athlete 30 years ago and expected to be successful in my sport,” said Kenworthy. “My story’s indicative of change.”

Gus opened up about his first year as an out athlete last October, reflecting on being able to have his boyfriend as his actual boyfriend at events.

“While competing I got to, finally, acknowledge my boyfriend standing at the bottom of the half-pipe cheering me on; something I regrettably failed to do in my previous 5-year-long closeted relationship,” he said.

The 2018 Winter Olympics will take place in PyeongChang in South Korea from 9-25 February.

Related: Gus Kenworthy breaks down in tears over the pain of hiding his sexuality