Watch a 78-year-old and a 13-year-old discuss what it’s like to be gay

YouTube

If you’re feeling tender from this weekends Pride celebrations, find a private place to watch this. The tears are real.

The YouTube channel Trent & Luke released the video, named “Young, Gay, and Illegal – Then & Now.”

13-year-old Louis and 78-year-old Percy discuss their different experiences of being gay. While they find a lot of things in common, their differences highlight the steps that the LGBT+ community has made.

Louis describes coming out to his parents through text: “I felt like I couldn’t do it face to face. My mum came running down the stairs… I started to cry, and then she sat me down and told me she loved me no matter what.”

On the other hand, Percy tells of his parents being in denial. When his mother visited his first house he bought with his partner, she insisted that the guest bedroom was actually his bedroom.

“I think you’re so lucky that the world has changed and you can just be yourself,” he told Louis.

While the world has changed, Louis describes feeling confused when he realised he was gay: “I remember actually thinking to myself to try not to think about being gay.”

Percy had a similar experience: “One didn’t think about it. You got on with what you we’re doing.”

Right up until 1967, Percy lived in a time when being gay was illegal. Louis learns that the police could arrest you for being with someone of the same sex.

If you feel like you can handle it, the most emotional part comes at the end when Louis asks for advice.

Percy tells him: “Be true to yourself. Stand up for being gay, and for actually trying to make people understand that the most important thing is that you can love someone. It doesn’t matter who they are. Love is love.

“Try to get people to think beyond their own immediate sphere, so that we can all be neighbours in the world. To be supportive.”

Watch the video below.

Words Lee Dalgetty

Comments

More

13 Lady Gaga songs that absolutely should have been singles

Alexis Mateo reveals the Drag Race incident that shut down production for three weeks

Here’s how you can watch all 10 episodes of Now Apocalypse for free

Patti LuPone is joining the cast of Pose season two

6 must-watch LGBTQ TV shows still to come in 2019

Rocketman director denies that gay sex scene has been cut from film

The cast of The Umbrella Academy are unsure about a second season

The Rubenstein Kiss a thought-provoking drama – review

Press enter to search