Olympic pole vaulter Shawn Barber comes out as “gay and proud”

Facebook / Shawn Barber

World champion and Olympic pole vaulter Shawn Barber has come out as gay.

Taking to Facebook on Monday 24 April, the Canadian sportsman shared a brief post with friends and followers announcing his sexuality.

He wrote: “Gay and proud! Thank you to my parents for being such a great support. I continue to grow as a person and have a great support group.

“My parents are my greatest support and have helped me through a lot recently. To my friends, you are always my friends and I love you too!”

Shawn won the pole vaulting world championships back in 2015, and finished tenth in his category at the Rio Olympics last year. He also set the NCAA indoor record for pole vaulting at 5.19 metres.

Response from fans has been overwhelmingly supportive, with one commenting: “Thank you of having the courage to share a piece of your life story with the world… You will never ever look back!”

Another suggested that Shawn’s coming out will “make it easier for others” who are scared to share their sexuality.

See his Facebook post below.

Comments

More

This original character on Fuller House just came out as bisexual

Photographer criticises Instagram for taking down Antoni Porowski images

The Tell-Tale Heart a creepy interpretation of Edgar Allan Poe’s short story – review

Drag Race fans can’t believe this scene from All Stars 4 was cut

Bohemian Rhapsody becomes highest grossing biopic of all time

Matt Smith stars in first trailer for new Robert Mapplethorpe biopic

Kate Winslet and Saoirse Ronan to star as lovers in new movie

Report finds that Russia’s ‘gay propaganda’ law is harming children

Press enter to search