The King of Norway gave an amazing speech on acceptance 

Flickr

Long live the King.

King Harald V of Norway made a speech yesterday to his garden party of 1500 guests. After a large influx of refugees entered the country in recent months, a huge migration debate got started in Norway. In response to this. the King himself decided to proclaim a message of unity and inclusivity over division, and he also including a touching message to LGBT youth.

“Norwegians are girls who love girls, boys who love boys, and boys and girls who love each other,” he said.

“Norwegians are also immigrants from Afghanistan, Pakistan, Poland, Sweden, Somalia and Syria. It is not always easy to say where we come from, to which nationality we belong. Home is where the heart is. That cannot always be placed within country borders.”

He even added in a reference to contemporary pop music – imagine if the Queen referenced One Direction in her Christmas address?! “Norwegians like Grieg, Kygo, Hellbillies and Kari Bremnes (a Norwegian singer).

“In other words: you are Norway. We are Norway. My biggest hope for Norway is that we will manage to take care of each other, that we can build this country further on trust, solidarity and generosity.”

The video has been watched on Norwegian news site NRK’s Facebook page over 2 million times. “The best speech I’ve ever heard. Norway is undergoing a change and our beloved king expressed it in a beautiful speech. You make me proud to be Norwegian,” wrote one commenter.

Go King Harald!

Watch the full clip here:

Words Louis Shankar

Comments

More

Indya Moore has raised over $20,000 for Black trans women during this pandemic

Canadian politician claims passing ban on gay ‘conversion therapy’ is putting “child abuse into law”

Andrea Di Giovanni’s new single is about encouraging love in all its forms

This Japanese region is the country’s first to make outing someone illegal

Here’s who each queen chose to eliminate on Drag Race All Stars 5

Charli XCX calls on her LGBTQ+ fanbase to support Black trans people

Drag Race All Stars 5 premiere reveals first lip sync assassin

Here’s where Lady Gaga’s new album Chromatica debuted on the UK charts

Press enter to search