HRC’s Sarah McBride to become first openly trans person to speak at a major party convention

HRC

The Human Rights Campaign’s national press secretary will appear at the DNC in Philadelphia this Thursday.

It isn’t just Hillary Clinton making history this week at the Democratic National Convention, HRC’s Sarah McBride is set to take to the stage becoming the first openly transgender person to speak at a major party convention.

Sarah currently works as the National Press Secretary for the Human Rights Campaign, one of the world’s largest LGBTQ civil rights organisations, and she appears on the steering committee of Trans United for Hillary, a volunteer effort dedicated to educating and mobilising transgender people and their allies in support of Hillary Clinton.

“I’m honored for this opportunity to share my story and to be the first transgender person to speak at a major party convention,” commented Sarah. “People must understand that even as we face daily harassment, tragic violence, and an onslaught of anti-LGBTQ political attacks across the country, we are real people merely seeking to be treated with the dignity and respect every person deserves. I’m so proud to stand with the LGBT Caucus and speak out in support of Hillary Clinton, because we know she stands with us.”

HRC President Chad Griffin commented on their website: “Sarah’s inclusion in Thursday’s program is a significant milestone for our community, and it sends a strong message that transgender people and their voices matter. I’m also honored to address a national convention where LGBTQ advocates will play such an integral and historic role.

He continued: “[The] Democratic National Convention will underscore the stark contrast between Hillary Clinton and Tim Kaine’s vision for a more equal America and Donald Trump and Mike Pence’s agenda of hate and division.”

In their statement announcing Sarah’s historic appearance at the DNC, HRC comment that last week’s Republican National Convention “adopted the most anti-LGBTQ platform in the Republican Party’s history”. They also add that this included “an endorsement of so-called ‘conversion therapy’ and dangerous, discriminatory laws like North Carolina’s HB2.”

Hilary Clinton was officially endorsed by the HRC in January this year. The organisation’s board commented at the time that “Secretary Clinton has made LGBT equality a pillar of her campaign and recently unveiled the most robust and ambitious LGBT plan any candidate for president has ever laid out.”

Comments

More

Stories is a fun but flawed take on a topical issue – review

Meet the West End theatre stars redefining black excellence in the arts

Queer Eye’s Karamo Brown is here to break down stereotypes around masculinity

Kevin and Moose had their first kiss in public on Riverdale this week

Four legendary Drag Race queens reenacted Lady Marmalade, and slayed

Ellen DeGeneres was threatened with a bomb after coming out as gay

15 of the best LGBTQ films you can watch right now on Netflix

Janet Jackson to receive Global Icon Award at the MTV EMAs

Press enter to search