Robbie Rogers criticises “racist, sexist, homophobic” football industry

YouTube

Robbie Rogers has criticised the “racist, sexist, homophobic” leaders of football association FIFA.

The former Leeds United footballer, now playing for US team LA Galaxy, made the comments during an appearance on Netflix’s new Chelsea Handler-fronted chat show.

Robbie came out as gay in 2013, just after leaving the British team, and welcomed a lovely baby boy, Caleb Gene Berlanti, via surrogate earlier this year.

However, he’s still one of only a few out players in Europe or South America, and for that, he blames the deeply entrenched machoism and homophobia in the football system.

When asked by host Chelsea what he thinks about Russia holding the next World Cup, he said: “In a perfect world it wouldn’t be in Russia – we’d boycott and they’d move it somewhere else.

“But that’s never gonna happen. FIFA is corrupt… it’s run by these old, racist, sexist, homophobic dudes who are in charge and put their buddies in charge, and there’s so much money involved. [They’re] greedy.”

He argues that, in a perfect world, football teams would boycott countries with anti-LGBT laws – in this case, however, he explains that reminding people he’s gay would be even more effective.

He said: “Being there it is more of a statement than boycotting. If I were on the team I’d go. I’d have glitter, I’d make sure people knew I was gay so I could be present. I’d have, like, a tiara.”

Watch a clip of the interview below.

Words Sofia Quaglia

Comments

More

Mike Pence becomes first vice president to speak at anti-LGBTQ summit

Sam Smith opens up about breakup with Brandon Flynn for the first time

These are the 14 queens we need to see on Drag Race UK

Relationships: The most important one you will ever have is with yourself

Kids Play a bedroom farce with a hidden heart – review

The new Fantastic Beasts 2 trailer includes a classic Harry Potter villain

Keira Knightley wants a lesbian sequel to Bend It Like Beckham

Grey’s Anatomy’s first gay male surgeon will have a romantic storyline