MHAW: Watch Calum McSwiggan overcome hardships and depression in new documentary

YouTube

YouTuber Calum McSwiggan has teamed up with award-winning Australian filmmaker Fraser Green to make a short, moving documentary about his struggle with depression.

After ending an abusive, six year relationship that began in his mid-teens, Calum left his small hometown in England and travelled for several years in an attempt to forge a new life for himself. Newly single, he felt at once free from pain but at a loss how to truly live on his own for the first time.

When he finally felt ready to return to England, he settled down in London. Free from the uncertainty of travel and adventure, Calum’s depression began to completely consume him. This documentary takes us on his journey of recovery.

The film is a reminder during Mental Health Awareness Week of how depression can affect the LGBT community, but the most important thing to Calum is seeing how people react and are helped by his videos.

“You might just make a silly video on the internet of just you messing around doing a challenge with friends or something,” he explains. “And then someone will write you an email, and say, ‘It’s so wonderful to see you just being yourself. That gave me the inspiration to come out to my parents,’ or, ‘That reassures me, I live in Russia, it’s extremely homophobic here, I’m scared for my own life. Seeing you being happy gives me hope.’ That’s why I continue to do it.”

You can watch the entire film right here:

Fraser Green said that he “didn’t hesitate for a second” when making a film about Calum’s life came up.

“I don’t think he did either when I pitched it to him. YouTube has become a powerful platform to tell stories about real people, in particular, LGBT+ stories,” Fraser added.

“McSwiggan is the most I’ve dedicated to a project. Of course, there was a lot more at stake having to travel overseas. But I always remained confident. Why? The story. The experiences and lessons explored from Calum’s hardships in the film are relatable on many levels by anyone, but in particular, for LGBT+ people.”

“It’s remarkable LGBT+ people have this access on the online realm.”

Words Ben Shields

If Gaz’s story affected you in any way, or if you’re suffering from depression, there is always someone available to talk things through and help you out.

mentalhealth.org.uk is a great place to start.

You can talk about a variety of issues with the Switchboard LGBT+ helpline:
Switchboard LGBT+ Helpline tel. 0300 330 0630

And you can talk about depression to:
Mind tel. 0300 123 3393
Metro Centre
The Samaritans tel.08457 90 90 90

Comments

More

13 Lady Gaga songs that absolutely should have been singles

Alexis Mateo reveals the Drag Race incident that shut down production for three weeks

Here’s how you can watch all 10 episodes of Now Apocalypse for free

Patti LuPone is joining the cast of Pose season two

6 must-watch LGBTQ TV shows still to come in 2019

Rocketman director denies that gay sex scene has been cut from film

The cast of The Umbrella Academy are unsure about a second season

The Rubenstein Kiss a thought-provoking drama – review

Press enter to search