Colombia says ‘I do’ to same-sex marriage

Flickr

The nation’s highest court concluded in a 6-3 decision that same-sex couples have a right to civil marriage.

Columbia has taken a massive step towards equality this week as magistrates of Columbia’s Constitutional court ruled against a proposed ruling that would have defined marriage as just between a man and a woman.

Prior to Thursday’s court decision, Gay Colombians could enter into civil unions, but had to prove that they had been in a relationship for a certain period of time before obtaining any legal benefit – this added an extra obstacle that heterosexual couples didn’t have to contend with.

Magistrate Alberto Rojas stated:  “All human beings have the fundamental right to be married with no discrimination.”

A group of marriage equality activists celebrated outside of the court after the decision was made, chanting: “Yes sir, I will get married because here in Colombia the law now allows me to.”

The ruling means Colombia is the fourth Latin American nation to fully allow same-sex marriage after Brazil, Argentina, and Uruguay. Several Mexican states have also passed regulations allowing same-sex marriage.

It was expected that the court would announce a verdict on marriage in November after ruling that same-sex couples have a right to adopt children, but justices postponed the case saying they needed more time to consider it.

Words Georgia Pearce

Comments

More

Cuban president Miguel Diaz-Canel voices support for same-sex marriage

Writer who said that Bert and Ernie were written as a “loving couple” says his comments were misrepresented

U.S. swimmer Abrahm DeVine comes out as gay

Kenya temporarily lifts ban on Rafiki so the film can compete at the Oscars

Atypical star Brigette Lundy-Paine comes out as queer

Watch Rita Ora’s music video for new single Let You Love Me

Queer Eye’s Karamo Brown on why he chose to open up about his suicide attempt

6 things to do in London before the end of September

Press enter to search