Calum McSwiggan shares your stories for Anti-Bullying Week

Calum asked his followers for their bullying stories and shares one of his own in his new video.

Research released by Stonewall today revealed that one in five people admit to making offensive or homophobic comments about LGBT people in the last year.

As part of Anti-Bullying Week, Calum McSwiggan asked his followers and subscribers to share their bullying stories with him. In this video he shares just a few of the responses he got back.

Calum also admits that at one point he was a bystander to homophobic bullying, and it’s something he regrets to this day. “When I was just a teenager, I watched another boy get bulled for being gay,” he explains, “I said nothing, and I did nothing, and that still haunts me today.

“Don’t be a bystander like me. Be brave, help a stranger in need. Confront bullying when you see it, and treat everyone with respect.”

Watch Calum’s video here:

This morning Ruth Hunt, Chief Executive of Stonewall said: “We need people to step in and stand up. We need people to be brave, be heard and be kind.  Challenging bullying requires courage but it does make a difference. By stepping in, supporting the person targeted, we can help to create a world where everyone is free to be themselves. If we stand by, the situation will not change.

“We’re not asking people to step into situations that are dangerous or to put themselves at risk – not being a bystander can be simply offering support to someone who has been targeted.”

Visit the Stonewall website for more information on the No Bystanders campaign.

Comments

More

Dacre Montgomery’s villainous character is back in Stranger Things teaser

First trailer for Downton Abbey movie teases same-sex romance

Drag Race fans think this queen has been cast on All Stars 5

We got Drag Race star Derrick Barry to rank all nine Britney albums

Watch the incredibly queer new trailer for Netflix’s Tales of the City revival

L Devine on why she didn’t want to “capitalise or cash-in” on her sexuality | Amplify by Gay Times

Michelle Simone is the third trans woman of colour to be killed in the US this week

Ashley Roberts and Lucie Jones to star in London musical Waitress

Press enter to search