Doctor Who star Pearl Mackie comes out as bisexual

Pearl Mackie has come out as a member of the LGBTQ+ community.

On Sunday (28 June), the British actress, singer and dancer – who’s best known for her role as Bill Potts on Doctor Who – posed with a plush rainbow-coloured cushion in a series of photos on Instagram.

“Proud to be bisexual. Proud to be Black,” she told her followers. “Proud of all my LGBTQ+ brothers and sisters and everyone in between. We matter. You matter. Big love and nuff respect. Happy Pride everyone!”

Pearl then used several hashtags in her post, such as #pridemonth#blacklivesmatter and #allblacklivesmatter.

The star’s post was flooded with support from her fans, especially her bisexual fanbase.

“As if I didn’t love Bill Potts enough already, knowing she was played by an LGBTQ+ actress makes me so so happy,” said one follower, while another wrote: “My heart is so full right now! This means the world.”

Pearl made history on Doctor Who as the titular hero’s first ever LGBTQ+ companion. She made her debut in the 10th season of the critically-acclaimed fantasy/sci-fi drama and appeared in 13 episodes in total.

Comments

More

Instagram announces plans to block promotion of ‘conversion therapy’

Sabrina fans campaigning to save beloved Netflix series following “unfair cancellation”

Katy Perry releases infectious new pop anthem and KP5 album artwork

Thailand to make history as first Southeast Asian country to legalise same-sex civil partnerships

Lil Nas X’s new song Call Me By Your Name sounds like a massive hit

Shea Couleé reveals why she chose India Ferrah’s lipstick in Drag Race preview

Janelle Monáe says it’s her “dream” to play Storm in the Marvel Cinematic Universe

Netflix cancels Chilling Adventures of Sabrina after two seasons

Press enter to search