“We’ve got a lot of work to do to make sure everyone is free to be who they are.”

Elizabeth Warren made a surprise appearance at this weekend’s RuPaul’s DragCon in New York City.

The Democratic presidential candidate couldn’t appear in person, so she recorded a message for the attendees of the annual drag extravaganza and vowed to improve LGBTQ rights if she beats Donald Tr*mp in the 2020 election.

“Hello DragCon, it’s Elizabeth Warren!” she started. “Thank you so much for inviting me to a part of this special weekend. When we make our voices heard, when we get into the fight, we win. I’m in this fight for an America that works for everyone.”

After urging American residents to vote, she said: “I’m in this fight for LGBTQ+ equality. We’ve got a lot of work to do to make sure everyone is free to be who they are and to love who they love.”

Warren then drew attention to the ongoing violence against transgender individuals in the United States. This year alone, 18 known members of the trans community have been murdered – 17 of which were trans women of colour.

“We need to call it out, and we need to fight back,” she continued. “Everybody should be able to go to school, to work, to get healthcare, or just walk down the street without fear of discrimination or violence. Equal means equal, period.”

Watch Elizabeth Warren’s inspiring DragCon message below.

The American politician and former academic has served as the senior United States Senator from Massachusetts since 2013. She announced her candidacy in the 2020 United States presidential election back in February.

Throughout her campaign, Warren has pledged to overturn Tr*mp’s ban on trans individuals serving in the military, to allow gay and bisexual men to donate blood and to ban ‘conversion therapy’ across the United States.