Flickr

Emmanuel Dash could face up to 25 years in prison.

Police in Brooklyn have charged Emmanuel Dash with attempted murder, after he allegedly stabbed a man in the neck with a suspected homophobic motive.

On 22 June, Dash is alleged to have approached a man and his gender non-conforming partner at their apartment. He is said to have told them: “I’m glad I know where you live, because I don’t like gay people.”

Dash is said to have harassed the pair, and threatened them with a knife before they closed the door. However, the pair later went to find Dash as they recognised him from the area.

As the pair went back to their building, Dash is said to have approached them and stabbed the man in the back of the neck. The victim suffered a six-inch wound, which partially severed the vertebral artery.

Dash is said to have then left the scene, while the victim’s partner called an ambulance. Dash was arrested at his home, two days later.

Image by gagnonm1993 from Pixabay

Eric Gonzalez, Brooklyn’s district attorney said Dash could face up to 25 years, and that he has been held on bail worth $40,000.

In a statement, Gonzalez said: “This defendant allegedly violated the sanctity and safety of this couple’s home when he showed up at their door spewing hate, then escalated it to a violent assault.

“There is no place for such ignorance and intolerance in Brooklyn, where we celebrate our diversity. We will now seek to hold this defendant accountable for this very serious attack.”

Last year, there was a different brutal homophobic attack in New York City, where a lesbian was assaulted, resulting in her having a fractured spine.

Allasheed Allah, is reported to have gotten angry after witnessing two women share a kiss. Allah is reported to have hurled homophobic abuse at the pair, before following them off of the train. He is then reported to have struck his victim in the back of head, before shoving her to floor.

Related: Victims sprayed with ‘corrosive substance’ in homophobic attacks in London