“I hope to ensure that their message continues to be highlighted, especially for young trans and non-binary people who currently need our love and support the most.”

akt has welcomed non-binary model, writer and activist Jamie Windust on-board as their newest ambassador.

The LGBTQ youth charity (formerly Albert Kennedy Trust) aims to provide safe homes and better futures for young queer people. Since it was established in Manchester in 1989, akt has supported over 50,000 members of the queer community.

Jamie marched with akt in the 2019 Manchester Pride Parade and has previously supported the organisation by hosting a workshop on social media activism. They will reportedly support the charity by taking on a more formal role.

In a statement, they said: “The vital, life-saving work that akt does with young, vulnerable LGBTQ+ people is something we all need to not only be aware of, but fully support. Their work allows LGBTQ+ people who are in some of the most lonely and terrifying times of their lives seek not only comfort, but community and a chosen family that truly looks out for them.

“I’m so pleased and honoured to be able to continue and support their fundraising and work as an Ambassador. I hope to ensure that their message continues to be highlighted, especially for young trans and non-binary people who currently need our love and support the most.”

The charity’s CEO, Tim Sigworth said: “We’re so pleased to be able to welcome Jamie on-board in a formal capacity as an Ambassador for akt. As a charity, we’re so fortunate to have the support of so many inspiring and wonderful people, who want to give up their time to support the work that we do.

“Jamie has been a friend of akt’s for a while now, and both us and our young people think that the work they continue to do is incredible. We have no doubt that their support will really help us to continue supporting vulnerable young people, to ensure that no young person should have to choose between a safe home and being who they are.”

Jamie recently covered GAY TIMES AMPLIFY alongside playwright and performer Travis Alabanza, where they discussed being objectified by the media for their identity and why they’re fed up with fighting back against cisgender gay men. 

Read their full conversation here.