YouTube

Lana Wachowski is making history.

It was recently announced that a fourth instalment in the Matrix franchise is in the works, with original stars Keanu Reeves and Carrie-Ann Moss set to reprise their iconic roles as Neo and Trinity.

Lana Wachowski, one half of the Wachowski siblings who co-wrote and directed the original trilogy, will also be returning to write and direct the new movie – although this time without her sister Lilly.

Both Lana and Lilly have come out as trans since the original Matrix trilogy. With Lana returning for the fourth movie, it will make her the first openly trans director to helm a major blockbuster movie in history.

“Many of the ideas Lilly and I explored 20 years ago about our reality are even more relevant now,” said Lana.

“I’m very happy to have these characters back in my life and grateful for another chance to work with my brilliant friends.”

The first instalment in The Matrix franchise premiered in 1999 to universal acclaim; it grossed over $460 million worldwide, won four Academy Awards and is often regarded as one of the greatest science-fiction films of all time.

The success of the film spawned two sequels, The Matrix Reloaded and The Matrix Revolutions, both of which were massive successes at the box office but failed to replicate the critical reception of the original.

The franchise also starred Laurence Fishburne, Jada Pinkett Smith, Harold Perrineau, Harry Lennix, Anthony Zerbe, Clayton Watson, Ian Bliss, Nathaniel Lees, David Roberts, Hugo Weaving and Collin Chou.

So far, Reeves and Moss are the only original cast members confirmed to return.