YouTube

Magnum are facing criticism over their latest advert campaign.

The popular ice cream brand have received backlash after a new advert, which played on music streaming service Spotify in the UK, compared the “guilty pleasure” of eating an ice cream to gay people being imprisoned in countries with anti-LGBTQ laws.

“A hug for my boyfriend. That’s my guilty pleasure. Because in my country, just a simple hug with the man I love could send me to prison for more than 10 years,” says the voiceover in the controversial advert.

Related: Here are the 11 countries where being gay is punishable by death

A spokesperson for Magnum told The Daily Star that the advert was created to “remind people that what is considered a guilty pleasure isn’t always what you would expect”.

But it seems the advert missed the mark, as many who heard it have criticised Magnum on social media, reminding them that the two are “not the same” and calling for the advert to be removed.

“What the hell?!? There are at least 3 versions of the Magnum ice cream ad that does a bit about being gay would get me X years in prison followed by a ‘get a Magnum, pleasure should be guilty’. That’s fucked,” wrote one Twitter user.

Another questioned: “Using real world problems to advertise your fucking ice cream?”