Wikimedia

The decision was made after Brunei implemented laws that would see gay people stoned to death.

The TV Choice Awards have announced they will not be holding this year’s ceremony at the Brunei-owned Dorchester hotel because of the country’s new anti-LGBTQ laws.

Making the announcement on Twitter, they wrote: “The 2019 TV Choice Awards will not be held at The Dorchester Hotel. This year’s venue will be announced in due course.”

Brunei has faced a considerable international backlash since the implementation of the new laws, with the British government and European Union, among others, urging the country to drop the laws.

Hollywood star George Clooney has urged for a boycott of hotels owned by Brunei.

In an op-ed for Deadline, he wrote: “Every single time we stay at or take meetings at or dine at any of these nine hotels we are putting money directly into the pockets of men who choose to stone and whip to death their own citizens for being gay or accused of adultery.

“Brunei is a Monarchy and certainly any boycott would have little effect on changing these laws. But are we really going to help pay for these human rights violations? Are we really going to help fund the murder of innocent citizens?”

His campaign received the backing of Sir Elton John, who wrote on Twitter: “I believe that love is love and being able to love as we choose is a basic human right.

“Wherever we go, my husband David and I deserve to be treated with dignity and respect – as do each and every one of the millions of LGBTQ+ people around the world.”

The boycotts have been supported by people like Ellen DeGeneres and Dua Lipa.

“Gay rights are human rights,” Dua Lipa wrote alongside a photo of her trainers, which have a rainbow flag on them.

“Boycott the industries and the people that believe in inhumane anti LGBT+ laws. Taking a stand today and forever to show support. The fight is never over we’re only scratching the surface but we need to be louder than ever.”

Related:Brunei adverts to be removed from TfL network over anti-LGBTQ law