Pete Buttigieg has revealed how he met his husband.

The openly gay Democratic presidential candidate, a Navy veteran who’s currently serving as mayor of the town of South Bend in Indiana, spoke about his relationship with Chasten Glezman during an appearance on CNN with Van Jones.

“He’s got this really quick wit. If you follow him on Twitter you’ll see what I mean,” he joked.

Asked what attracted him to Chasten, Pete said: “It’s a very millennial thing, but I met him through this app called Hinge. As soon as I saw his picture, there was just something in his eyes, and I was like, ‘I gotta meet this guy’. And then I did.

“I was just trying to keep up with him, and what I’ve found is that I’m still trying to keep up with him in a lot of ways.”

Pete also gushed that his partner is “one of the best things” in his life, explaining how Chasten has adjusted very well to the increase in attention since he announced his candidacy for US president in 2020.

“He’s pretty good at rolling with it, and I’m lucky for that. Frankly, he’s one of the best things I’ve got going for me. I love him. He’s grounded. He keeps me grounded,” he said.

“He was really alive to the ways we could use our visibility to help people, to make people feel better, just by showing up to their events, that sort of thing. And he’s taking that same attitude on the trail.

“[But] he definitely got more than he bargained for, he sometimes reminds me about our first date, we were not talking about this being in our future!”

The 37-year-old politician was the ninth person to join the battle for the Democratic Party’s nomination in January. If he were to win, he’d become the first openly gay presidential nominee from a major political party.

“I belong to a generation that is stepping forward right now,” he said in his campaign announcement video.

“We’re the generation that lived through school shootings, that served in the wars after 9/11, and we’re the generation that stands to be the first to make less than our parents unless we do something different.

“We can’t just polish off a system so broken. It is a season for boldness and a focus on the future.”