Dolly-Rose Campbell plays Gemma Winter in the ITV soap opera.

Coronation Street actress Dolly-Rose Campbell has come out as bisexual, and she said her work with Manchester Pride was what gave her the confidence to come out.

Speaking to The Daily Star, she said: “I have been coming to pride for over a decade now. The love and acceptance shown by the people of Manchester allowed me to accept my bisexuality and be proud of who I am.”

She then praised Manchester Pride, saying: “The work that Manchester Pride does throughout the year to engage with and create opportunities for people in Manchester’s LGBTQ+ community and beyond makes a huge difference to so many people’s lives.”

And speaking about her role in an advert for Manchester Pride, the actress told the Manchester Evening News: “It was an honour to do the voiceover for this video.

“Manchester Pride is one of my favourite times of the year in Manchester. It is a time when everyone comes together to show that love and kindness will always triumph over hate and prejudice.”

Earlier this year, Manchester Pride announced that it would be adopting the eight-colour Pride flag in order to recognise queer people of colour.

“This is a huge announcement for us and something we are extremely proud of. We have spent the past three years listening to our audiences and have curated these new elements of the festival to connect with as many LGBT+ people as possible,” said Mark Fletcher, chief executive for Manchester Pride.

“The progressive city of Manchester has always led the way in the advancement of LGBT+ rights. Having listened to everyone that engages with the festival and reviewed the landscape of Pride celebrations throughout the world, along with the issues still being faced by LGBT+ people across Greater Manchester, we felt that it was important to deliver a festival that not only celebrates LGBT+ life but also clearly continues to campaign for equality and acceptance.”

And Dolly-Rose Campbell isn’t the only celebrity to have come out this year. Check out our list for all the people who have bravely lived their truths this year.