© Dominick D via Flickr

Actor Jussie Smollett has been attacked in what is a suspected hate crime.

The Empire star – who came out publicly as gay back in 2016 – was approached by two men wearing ski masks at 2am on Tuesday morning.

The attackers then placed a noose around his neck, began to punch him, and pour an unknown substance over him during the unprovoked attack, according to Chicago police.

They also hurled homophobic and racist slurs at him.

According to TMZ, the attackers yelled, “This is MAGA country,” referring to the Make America Great Again acronym often used by President Trump.

“Given the severity of the allegations, we are taking this investigation very seriously and treating it as a possible hate crime,” a police spokesperson stated.

Jussie was able to carry himself to a nearby hospital, where he was treated for his injuries.

It’s been reported that he is in good condition and fully cooperating with Chicago police.

Jussie Smollett has always been a big critic of Donald Trump, and was vocal about his opposition to the President ahead of the 2016 election.

“I think that [Trump] is truly one of the worst people that has ever walked the face of this planet. I can’t talk about him without getting heated and I get so emotional about it,” he said.

“I’m so emotional about it because I feel it so deeply. And I’m also ashamed. I’m embarrassed for our nation, that we allowed someone like this to get so far.

“I think that he is the mogul of hate. That is what I will call him forever. What he has done is capitalised on the fear of this nation.”