Stanley McChrystal was a four-star army general.

A retired US general, Stanley McChrystal has slammed the ban on transgender troops from serving in the US military as a mistake.

Earlier this week, the conservative majority of the US Supreme Court voted 5-4 in favour of upholding the Trump’s administration’s ban. Although the decision is temporary, this means that the Trump administration will be able to enforce the ban while the case proceeds.

Speaking about the ban on the podcast, The Axe Files, McChrystal said: “We live in a country now where only around 30% of young people qualify to enlist in the military, that’s only 70% [who] for legal, physical, other reasons, cannot.”

He added: “If we have people who want to serve, if they have the desire and capacity to serve, I think it’s a mistake to lose that talent.

“I also think it’s a mistake to send any message that says somebody with those attributes, the willingness and the capability to serve, not being welcome, is a negative message to send.”

McChrystal’s comments are similar to those of a top US general, Marine Corps General Joseph F. Dunford Jr., chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff, who told a congressional committee that transgender troops should be allowed to serve.

“I believe any individual who meets the physical and mental standards, and is worldwide deployable and is currently serving, should be afforded the opportunity to continue to serve,” he said.

Donald Trump first took to Twitter in 2017 to announce that anyone who identifies as trans will no longer be allowed to serve their country, citing “tremendous medical costs” and “disruption” by trans individuals.

“After consultation with my Generals and military experts, please be advised that the United States Government will not accept or allow Transgender individuals to serve in any capacity in the US Military,” he wrote.

“Our military must be focused on decisive and overwhelming victory and cannot be burdened with the tremendous medical costs and disruption that transgender in the military would entail. Thank you.”