“After almost a decade of fighting — thru prison, the courts, a hunger strike, and thru the insurance company — I finally got surgery this week.”

Chelsea Manning has shared a photo after undergoing gender confirmation surgery over the weekend.

The American activist posted a picture to Twitter after her operation, alongside the caption: “After almost a decade of fighting – through prison, the courts, a hunger strike, and through the insurance company – I finally got surgery this week.”

In a follow-up tweet, she slammed Trump’s administration for trying to ‘define trans people out of existence’.

“Laws don’t determine our existence – *we* determine our existence – it’s our weapon, our shelter, our energy, our healer, our truth – we will keep moving forward – we will keep fighting – existence is *our* only law,” she passionately posted.

In 2010, Chelsea was arrested after she released more than 700,000 classified State Department secret military documents to WikiLeaks.

She was sentenced for violating the Espionage Act in August 2013, after the documents were shared online and with major news organisations.

During her seven years in prison, Manning attempted suicide twice, and had to spend time in confinement.

She was originally arrested as Bradley Manning, but publicly came out as a transgender woman in a statement from her attorney in 2013.

Last September she went on hunger strike after demanding gender confirmation treatment, and was eventually given her request by the Army.

“Now, freedom is something that I will again experience with friends and loved ones after nearly seven years of bars and cement, of periods of solitary confinement, and of my health care and autonomy restricted, including through routinely forced haircuts,” Manning said in a statement in May.

“I am forever grateful to the people who kept me alive, President Obama, my legal team, and countless supporters.”

Related: Chelsea Manning is finally released after seven years inside. 

Buy the latest issue of Gay Times